Monday, May 22, 2006

Now I See Why Sleep Is Important

I got up today at 6 in the morning, for perhaps the first time in two years. I've had the luxury of a well-paying 9 to 5 job all that time, and I sure as hell wasn't going to schedule classes any earlier (I think I've had one 8 a.m. class in my college history, and it didn't go well). Since the busses are running hourly if at all inbetween the fall and first summer session, Sweetie and I and one of our good friends are all walking up to work together. It's a good hour's amble, plus home again, so I'm hoping to walk off a little of my excess tummy, and in the process get all that good anti-depression excersize mojo. I just have to learn once and for all that if I'm going to be getting up before the sun (literally!), I need to go to sleep at ten, instead of my usual 1 a.m. Luckily I've got the Fellowship of the Ring audiobook to fall asleep to - it's like having Ian McKellen reading you a bedtime story!

In knitting news, I'm working on the third repeat of Frost Flowers chart B, and I'm on my sixth ball of yarn. I did some fancy math (mostly addition), and some fancy graphics to show off my fancy math (squares), and this is what I came up with:


As you can see, it is very swanky indeed. [Update: The top numbers give the stitches per side/per round, and the bottom one the percentage (based on stitches) finished in that repeat. Told you it was swanky!] Also, since the 12" DPNs I made were actually size 5 and incredibly unwieldy, I tried another approach for the cord. Since I now had an extra 24" circ, I cut it in half, picked up some weed whacker cord, heated it up and stuck the ends together, making one really fantastic HUGE circular needle. I think it's somewhere between 72 and 80 inches, but it's holding all the stitches comfortably, and it seems to actually take a little of the strain off my wrists when I'm walking with it. Weird, huh?

Also, I made a needle case :) It's fabric stash from when I used to sew, orange and gold sari silk on the inside and suede paisly-ish on the outside. It's just the right size for my assorted sock needles, stitch markers, extra sissors and whatnot, and the lady at the LYS says if I figure out how to use bias tape to make the edges not suck so hard, she'll stock them :) I don't forsee that happening until after the move, but it's encouraging. And now, it is time to go get a sandwich and a glass of milk, and start heading out the door!

No comments: