Saturday, April 12, 2008


So, I started a scarf. This, in and of itself, is not too surprising, because hey, I start a lot of things.

This scarf, however, is based off photos of Alice Starmore's Irish Moss sweater, and written using my handy-dandy Barbara Walker stitch treasuries. Seriously, a good 15 minutes of flipping pages, scribbling on graph paper, and I had me a scarf pattern.


Pattern: Irish Miss Scarf ;)
Needles: size 0 DPNs
Yarn: Handspun, 1700 ypp merino/silk "Sandstone"

This is the roving I got from Smoky Mountain Spinnery in Tennessee. I spun this as a heavy lace weight, two ply, not nearly as even as I would like but much better than I had any right to expect. I have 8 oz total, about 6 of that spun up, and 3 oz in this batch. I'm worried that I underplied the second 3oz batch, and it'll be more a really fluffy fingering weight than a heavy lace, but we'll see how it turns out after I wash and set it. If it doesn't work, hey, I'll have two scarves out of this stuff instead of one larger one (and I may have to do it that way regardless).

In animal-related news, we will not in fact be getting a corgi at this time. Mr Sweetie took me by PetCo last saturday and we both fell in love with a 5 year old beagle named Maggie. She's completely the opposite of what I had been looking for: An older dog, female, has not lived with cats, and is a beagle. And yet! We love her. She's not been cat-tested, but her current foster mom has bunnies, and Maggie is fine around them. She's also mellow enough to snuggle with us as we play WoW, and playful enough to go to the dog park. We filled out the adoption application the day we met her, and prorated the new place an extra two weeks early, in case needing to have a home now is an issue with her.

In preparation for the new dog, and because it just needed doing, Heed went to the vet today. He got his rabies and RCP vaccines, annual checkup (paying special attention to his kidneys, which are FINE now! Yay!), and while he was there, we did his dental cleaning. For this, they do bloodwork (which is how we checked the kidneys), and while he was out, it seemed like a good time to microchip him. Honestly, the needles they use for that are pretty sizable, so we were looking to do that at a time when he wouldn't be awake to feel it.

So he's been pretty pathetic since he came home. His tiny voice is all soft, like he's not sure if he wants to cry or not, but he knows he wants to do it standing next to you. His pupils are dilated and he's vaguely confused. My poor kitty is tripping balls.

No comments: