Monday, January 21, 2008

Whee!

Galveston Prime is progressing nicely. I finished Chart F on time, and am about halfway through Chart G, which is the last of the body charts. I'm hoping to get ahead by about six to eight rows tomorrow, what with the entire day being free and all, and I may reward myself with a copy of Knitting New Scarves. I have to say, I got that book through interlibrary loan this week, and it's one of the very few books I've seen lately that not only used new techniques, but used them well, with clear explanations, and it impressed the hell out of me. Is it arrogant to say that I'm no longer easily impressed by knitting books? The way the author switches her knitting between one and many layered fabric, I love the way she must think. It's excellent, and will be a great addition to my personal library.

I like my personal library - which I guess isn't all that surprising, given that I'm the one who compiled it. My goal for it (eventually) is that when I die and leave it to whichever friend, relative, or library looks most promising, someone who didn't know how to knit at all would be able to use just the books in my library and teach themselves everything - from the very basics of knit and purl, up to the interesting stuff like designing patterns and doing neat construction tricks like twined knitting and this stuff in New Scarves. One day I may whip it all up into some giant mega-folder like I once did with my tatting tricks (can you believe there are enough tatting tricks to make a 3 page list?), with either an explanation or a note on which book to find it in, but not any time soon I don't think. One of the advantages to working in a library, I also get those neat little magazine holders, so I can even sort my magazines by publisher (interweave and non-interweave is how I ended up doing it), so that's fun. One day I hope to have my own tiny copy of Voyager, which is THE library cataloging software to date, and get all of my books into it.

So, you may have noticed that I have internet now? We bit the bullet and got a cable connection, hooray for us! Granted, it's only on Sweetie's computer at the moment, but I'm going to look into wireless routers so we can set us up a nice home wireless network for when we go to Austin and PrimaryBrother moves in with us (as he likely will).

In other good news, guess what? Sweetie said he wants to learn to knit! Only "to make bags and stuff" at the moment, but I might sit down with him tomorrow and teach him knit and purl. He says he really likes linen, and would like to work with that, so that'll be interesting to teach him on. I think I may take him by the Hook and Needle, to pick out some needles and yarn to learn with. I told him that my stash is his stash (within reason, anyways - I don't see him drooling on the laceweight any time soon), but he might be more motivated to learn if he can start with something he really likes and that he picked himself. I have to be careful not to appear too excited about this, since I don't want to pressure him and scare him off - the knitting must be approached gently, like a skittish gazelle.

Well, I guess I'll be getting back to my own needles for tonight. I was struck last week with extreme paranoia about the knitted-on edging, so I want to get to that as soon as possible so I don't get stuck on it later.

No comments: