Well folks, today is November 17th, and it's time to face the facts: If I want to get the soap ready by Christmas, the time to make it is NOW. My bastille soaps are still falling to bits and they're what, two weeks old now? At least? So I'm going to switch up my recipe a little, and instead of 80% olive oil, I'm doing 30% olive oil and 50% lard (which sounds gross, I know, but makes good soap).
I picked up some PVC pipe to use as molds, as well as all the cardboard boxes I had been using, so now I can make round soaps as well as blocks. All that's left to do now is figure out which 12 or so kinds of soap I want to do, and then do it. I picked up some olive pomace oil and much-cheaper-than-krogers coconut oil up at the Farm Patch this past saturday, so I should have enough to last me at least until the paycheck arrives.
I've heard that you can add fresh fruit to soap and have that turn out okay (LUSH, I'm looking at you), so I'm going to try that tonight. I think a banana/clove soap would work pretty well, and I could call it something silly, like MANANA. One down, right? I should make a list.
1. MANANA. Fresh banana and powdered clove. Some kinda milk?
2. COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE. Espresso, coffee grounds, instant cappuccino.
3. LEMON POPPYSEED. Lemon EO, poppy seeds. Pretty straightforward.
4. HOLY CRAP COCONUT. Creamed coconut, vanilla bean, orange EO.
5. THAT'S HOW YOU KNOW ITS FANCY. Rose buds, rose absolute, rose water.
6. LIQUID BREAD. Guinness extra stout, oatmeal, some kinda milk.
7. GOOD FOR YOUR FACE. Tomato juice, carrot juice, yogurt. Honey?
8. AUNT SKELETOR. FavoriteAunt's fancy soap <3 Yogurt, frankincense/chocolate/bergamot/other thing (why can I not remember the last thing?) FO, silk protein.
9. SHAVING SOAP. Extra castor oil, bentonite clay, dad's fancy scent (silver buttonwood/teak/other thing FO in sweet almond oil). Second batch in peppermint?
10. RED DIRT REVIVAL. Red clay. Something else is probably needed. Pomegranate?
11. EAT YOUR FACE. Cocoa powder, peppermint EO.
12. MINTY MINTY MINT. LOTS of Peppermint EO, poppy or vanilla seed scrubbies
13. HOPE THIS WORKS. The elusive 13th soap, which will be strawberries, balsamic vinegar, and black pepper. I have no idea if this one will work at all, but I've got to try.