Friday, December 07, 2007

I Can Has Bike?

So we went to the semi-annual Bike Sale here on campus - all of the bikes that are left in places for a long time are scooped up by the Surplus people, and if they're not claimed in a year, into the sale they go. Any bike, $20. So, of course, considering that my last two bikes have been stolen, I'm perfectly down with getting a cheap-o bike when the situation presents itself.

I ended up getting a vintage AMF Roadmaster Nimble, a lady's bike from the 60s or 70s. She is pretty and maroon, possibly older than my mom. I will call her Sheila.

While I was there, I picked up a newer mountain bike for PrimaryBrother, 'cause, you know, his truck is dead, and he lives in a big city now on his own. Plus, christmas present for $20, plus a little fixing up. I know he'll appreciate it.

I am totally enamoured of this bike I got - I went and looked up all the different things I'm going to need to do to fix her up - tube replacement, wheel centering, fixing the very old brakes that don't work at all, polishing the chrome up all nice and pretty. She's sooooo nice. I walked her home, since the front wheel needs a new tube, and the urge to start riding was crazy. I haven't had a bike in about a year and a half now, and I think that's the longest I've ever gone since I started riding. I'm thinking once I get Sheila up and running, and with a good lock, I'm going to start biking to and from work in the mornings. God knows I could use the exercise, both for my physical and mental health. Plus, fun and good times!

And now I leave you for a bit, to go back to my brushes and my rags, and my big happy soon-to-be-clean new bike.

No comments: